Well, with the party season nearly behind us, it is an opportune time to pause and reflect. “How has your year been?” is the question that I am most commonly asked – AWESOME is the honest answer! The biggest challenge now is how to back it up next year and achieve awesomeness year after year. In reflecting on the year, my keys to success would be:
- Most importantly – get the right PEOPLE on the bus. I have the privilege of working with an amazingly fun, energetic and passionate team. The most satisfying aspect of my role is seeing individuals embrace new challenges, feel empowered, take additional responsibility and thrive.
- The next most important factor is our CLIENTS. We have been entrusted with the delivery of some of Sydney’s most iconic, exciting and transformational projects. The Sandstones, The Ribbon and the new Sydney Fish Market amongst them. For a relatively new business to have the client base and project portfolio that we have makes me immensely proud, humbled and inspired.
- CULTURE – the biggest payment we made in our first 3 months of trading was a $10,000 donation to the Property Industry Foundation. That set the scene that we support people through thick and thin. Crashing the bus on our annual ski trip was another highlight (only a bruised ego suffered!). Don’t take things too seriously. Enjoy the journey. Everybody reaches the same destination.
- GOVERNANCE – we set up the business from day one to handle growth. We have two independent directors in Greg Incoll and Julie Bindon who keep us honest, challenge us constructively and help us avoid those “Oh Shit!” moments.
- INSPIRATION FROM OTHERS – we take inspiration from some of the great things being done by our industry colleagues and competitors in Sydney right now. This is an awesome time!
So, as I look back on the year that has been and ponder what lies ahead for Essence, I want to take this opportunity to wish all our staff, clients, industry partners and competitors the happiest Christmas and all the success you deserve in the New Year.
Essence Project Management Pty Ltd provider of Project Direction, Client Representation, Project Management, Independent Certification, Development Management and Superintendency services in Australia